How it works!
WalkSmart is a hardware & software solution that allows for improved monitoring and management of walking health and general lifestyle. By simply attaching the deivce to an existing walker, healthcare providers, patients, and their families can more thoroughly understand a person's behavior and make efforts to improve quality of life and overall health.
There are many important metrics and alerts that can be generated just from understanding walking motions. From general fitness to safety and health alerts, it's more than just a "Fitbit for your walker!"
What Does it Do?
- Automated phone calls if walker isn't used during the day: reminder to use walker
- Congratulatory text message if you reach your daily walking goal with WalkSmart
- Immediate night walking alerts for assisted living staff to aid with toileting
- Coming Soon: a shoe attachment that monitors if the user has walked away from their walker
- The distance and duration walked: from by the minute to by the month
- Weekly email walking summaries to families and users
- The best measured walking speed for each day
- Email, text message, or phone call alert if the walker hasn't been moved in a number of hours
- Email alert if the walker is moved many times during the night (indicates excessive bathroom use)
- Text message when walking occurs at night
- Approximate sleep, bedtime, and wakeup times
- How many times the users got out of bed at night
- General activity levels
What might I find with this information?
Declines in general activity
Periods of daytime walker inactivity
What actions can I take?
- Respond to any possible emergencies: Give your loved one a call if you get an email alert. Check on a resident if they are still in bed at 10 am.
- Proactive, Preventative Care: Check in with a loved one or resident if walking behavior changes. You may catch a problem early.
- Encourage a more active lifestyle! Walking more can have so many health benefits. It's up to the children, friends, and care providers of elderly folks to encourage safe walking habits (using their walker) and to encourage more walking on a daily basis.